What recovery equipment do I need to safely recover my 4X4 or Heavy Industrial Vehcile ?
Note this article only covers off some equipment that may be used in a recovery. For advice on recoveries please consult with your Recovery Specialist.
Deaths involving recovery attempts is real and the level of risk is high.
This article shows some of the incidents that have occurred in Australia to raise awareness of the risks involved.
We will aslo outline some recovery solutions/equipment options which Absolute Lifting and Safety recommend when safely recovering a vehicle.
TOPICS COVERED IN THIS ARTICLE
- Can I use a Tow Ball for Recovery ?
- What is a recovery strop ?
- What is the difference between a metal and a soft shackle ?
- Can I use a Recovery Strop & Soft Shackle for an Industrial Heavy Vehicle ?
- What is an off road recovery block ?
- Heavy Vehicle Soft Shackle & Mongoose Recovery Strop Break Test
- Recovery Incidents
Using a 4wd tow ball for recovery.
CAN I USE A TOW BALL AS A RECOVERY POINT ?
what is a recovery strop?
WHAT IS A RECOVERY STROP ?
SPECIFICATIONS MONGOOSE RECOVERY STROPS
Strops available by BreakForce (tonne)
- 30 tonne to 350 tonne strops come with fully machine braided cover to body and eyes
- 400 tonne to 500 tonne strops come with HD Fire Hose cover to body and eyes
- Soft eye splice in each end
- Available on request complete with marine grade round thimble
- Colour coding by application available on request
- Ultra high strength to weight ratio
- Lightweight and flexible to reduce risk of back injuries
- Low elongation
- Minimal re-coil and kinetic energy at break
- Traceability (durable I/D tags)
- Reduced hand injuries (no fish hooking like steel wire rope)
- Heavy duty tight HT Nylon cover
- Highly resistant to wear and flex fatigue
- Certified to Tonnage rating
|Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW)|
|DISTRESSED VEHICLES – GVW*||HILL OR GRADIENT TOWING – GVW*|
|Mongoose Break Force (Tonnes)||Towing from general muddy, Slippery conditions||Towing from Medium bogged position in mud||Towing from Heavy to Extreme entrenched position||6′ I ncl i ne lm Gradient over 10m distance (1:10)||11 ‘ I ncl i ne lm Graident over 6m distance (1:6)||18′ I ncl i ne lm Gradient over 4m dis t ance (1:4)|
|Range||Eye Size (mm)||Approx. unit weight of completed strop (kg)|
|BreakForce (tonne)||Finished Diameter lmml||1-3m||6m+||lm||3m||6m||10m||15m||20m|
|Fully machine braided cover to body & eyes|
|HD Fire Hose cover to body & eyes|
SPECIFICATIONS SPANSET SNATCH STRAPS
SpanSet nylon recovery straps offer 20% stretch for smooth snatches in four wheel drive situations where winching is not a viable option.
What is a soft shackle ?
SHOULD I USE A METAL OR SOFT SHACKLE ?
what recovery can be used for industrial heavy vehicles ?
indsutrial heavy vehicle recovery
Can I use Soft Shackles and Recovery Strops/ Snatch Straps for Heavy Vehicle Machinery ?
Yes, Mongoose Recovery Strops and Soft Shackles can be used for light, 4×4 and heavy industrial vehicles. Depending on the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), Environment and Gradient of the tow, will depend on which Mongoose BreakForce & Tonne rated Recovery Strop you will need. See the table under Mongoose Recovery Strops in this article.
The Spanset Snatch Strap should not be used for heavy vehicle recoveris and only 4w4 recoveries.
WHAT IS A RECOVERY BLOCK ?
WHAT IS AN OFF ROAD RECOVERY BLOCK ?
Industrial Heavy Vehicle Soft Shackle & Mongoose Recovery Stop Break Test Videos
This section will cover some of the incidents that have occurred in Australia to raise awareness of the risks involved recovering vehicles.
TOW BALL fatal
Lady killed near Geraldton when a tow ball broke off and hit her in the throat.
Heavy Vehicle towing
In September 2018, a truck driver suffered severe abdominal injuries when a chain failed during a semi-trailer recovery operation.