Personal Protective Equipment & Risk Management
The use of personal protective equipment is lowest on the list of control priorities. These controls should not be relied on as the primary means of risk control until the options higher in the list of control priorities have been exhausted.Therefore, PPE should only be used:
- as a last resort, where there are no other practical control measures available
- to be a short-term measure until a more effective way of controlling the risk can be used
- together with other controls measures such as local exhaust ventilation
- by itself during maintenance activities.
There may be specific PPE requirements for working with harmful substances or in certain work activities. Read more about PPE for working with:
- engineered or natural stone containing crystalline silica in the stone benchtop industry (PDF, 0.91 MB).
Learn more about work-related hazards.